Richard Davies Garnons Williams

Edited by : Person10 Wales at War / Cymru yn y Rhyfel 27/05/2016

Date of Birth: 15/6/1856

Place Of Birth: Llowes, Radnorshire

Date of Death: 25/9/1915

Location died: Loos-en-Gohelle, France

Gender: Male

Where buried: Loos Memorial to the Missing


Hay & Cusop
  • Date of birth - 15/6/1856

    Where? - Llowes, Radnorshire

  • Date Enlisted - 9/1914

    Where? - N/A

    Age - 58

    As - Volunteer

  • Battles

  • Date of the battle - 25/9/1915

    Where? - Loos

  • Ranks

  • Rank Date - N/A

    Rank - As Lieutenant-Colonel

    Service - British Army

    As -

    Service number - N/A

  • Rank Date - 26/9/1914

    Rank - As Major

    Service - British Army

    As -

    Service number - N/A

  • Rank Date - 3/10/1914

    Rank - As Lieutenant-Colonel

    Service - British Army

    As - South Wales Borderers

    Service number - N/A

  • Date of Death - 25/9/1915

    Where? - Loos-en-Gohelle, France


  • Father - Garnons Williams
  • Mother - Catherine Hort
  • Spouse - Alice Bircham
  • Daughter - Barbara Garnons Williams
  • Daughter - Katherine Garnons Williams
  • Son - Roger Garnons Williams


  • Waunderwen, Hay


  • Anglicanism

Language(s) spoken

  • English

Additional Information

Richard Davies Garnons Williams was born in 1856, the second son of Reverend Garnons Williams of Abercamlais, Powys. He was educated at Magdalen College School, Oxford, before attending University at Trinity College, Cambridge. Garnons Williams was a Welsh international rugby union forward and he played club rugby for Brecon and Newport RFCs, as well as for Cambridge University RUFC during this college years. He only played one game for Wales, notably the very first Wales international rugby union match in 1881. Wales played England and lost heavily from 7 goals, 1 dropped goal and 6 tries to nil. Garnons Williams attended the Royal Military College at Sandhurst and completed his officer training in 1876.He was commissioned as a sub-lieutenant on 26 February of this year and was posted to the 38th Regiment of Foot, before being transferred to the 7th Regiment of Foot (later renamed the Royal Fusiliers) on 17 February 1877. He gained promotion to lieutenant on 17 January 1877, and to captain by February 1885. On 10 January 1887 he was appointed adjutant of the 4th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers. He retired from the regular army on 4 May 1892. On 8 August 1894 he was commissioned as major in the 1st (Brecknockshire) Volunteer Battalion, South Wales Borderers (a Volunteer Force unit), and was appointed Brigade Major for the South Wales Brigade of the Volunteer Force in 1895. On 12 July 1899 he was granted honorary rank as lieutenant colonel. He resigned on 26 May 1906. Following his retirement, he became heavily involved in public life in the county and was a member of the Brecon Board of Guardians, Brecon Rural District Council and Brecon Infirmary Committee. He was also a Justice of the Peace for the county and became secretary of the National Service League for mid Wales. He rejoined the British Army after the outbreak of the First World War and was posted back to the 12th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers as major on 26 September 1914. On 3 October 1914 he was promoted to temporary lieutenant colonel and was transferred to the Brecknockshire Battalion of the South Wales Borderers. He was posted back to the 12th Royal Fusiliers but was killed on 25 September 1915 while leading his battalion in the Battle of Loos. He was the eldest of the 13 Wales international players to be killed during the war at the age of 59.