MAGOR WAR MEMORIAL

Basic information

Address

Magor with Undy

County

Monmouthshire

 

Comments

 

About

Notes

Situated in the centre of Magor Square. The village war memorial to the dead of both the First World War and the Second World War from Magor, Llandevenny, Bishton, Redwick, Llandevaud, Penhow and St Brides. West side incorporates bronze medallion of David Thomas First Viscount Rhondda 1856-1918 by Allan G Wyon. Listed as a well-designed war memorial which is of substantial local interest and is the focal point of Magor Square. Made of fine jointed sandstone ashlar. Four sided with 4 moulded gables/pediments each engraved with a crest: the Red Dragon, the Welch, the Royal Arms, the Welsh Arms. Gables have heavy coping, are swept at base to form waterspouts and are supported by square attached piers; a heavily ridged stone roof surmounted by an unmoulded stone cross. Inscription panels are in deep recesses with splayed reveals approached by three steps, with ground plan of a four-apsed rectangle flush with surround. The memorial is enclosed within cast-iron railings. (Cadw Listing database).RCAHMW, 25 November 2013

Service persons

Name Rank Regiment/Battalion Date of death
Edward Theobald None South Wales Borderers 10/07/1916